- Fifteen years partnering with business, marketing, UX, and technology to drive improvements in user experience, increase revenue, increase subscribership and retention, and meet business goals.
- Fifteen years developing comprehensive content strategies that deliver on the brand story, encourage repeated customer engagement, and ensure a consistent experience across media and delivery vehicle.
- Six years developing marketing and brand strategies to businesses of all sizes.
- Fifteen years writing creative copy and interactive content for websites, print, blogs, videos, ecommerce, marketing campaigns, mobile, SEO, manuals, etc.
- Six years in Agile/iterative environment.
- Six years agency experience.
agency, consulting + in-house experience
- Sr Manager, Product Design | UX Research and Strategy—Accela, San Francisco, 3/15-present
- Director, UX Strategies—Granicus, San Francisco, 3/14-3/15
- Freelance Content Strategy Team Lead—Wells Fargo, San Francisco, 10/12-3/14
- Freelance Content Strategy Team Lead—Walmart.com, San Francisco, 3/11-9/11
- Freelance Senior Content Manager—Docusign.com, San Francisco, 9/11-7/12
- Content Strategist + UI Writer—Blue Shield of CA, San Francisco, 9/08-9/10
- Senior Content Strategist—TiVo, Inc. Alviso, CA, 10/05-9/06
- Marketing Strategist + Content Strategist—Freelance, Oakland, CA, 8/02-10/05
- Technical Writer—Inktomi Corporation, San Francisco, CA, 6/01-8/02
- Content Strategist—MarchFIRST (Ikonic/USWeb), San Francisco, CA, 11/97-4/02
- Seven years total experience managing content developers, user researchers, UI designers, technical writers, copywriters, and freelance writers; five years leading UX team members.
- Three years as a professional mentor to small group of marketing and content professionals.
- Four years managing café operations and catering staff of up to 20 people.
- Two years teaching English abroad to all ages and levels.
- One year managing a restaurant in Russia, including translating meetings and local regulations.
- One semester as adjunct faculty at John F. Kennedy University in the Arts + Consciousness mentorship program.
projects + roles of note
Sr Manager, Product Design | UX Research and Strategy—Accela, San Francisco, 3/15-present
- Lead and mentor a local and remote team of UX researchers, designers, and strategists
- Work within the Product team to build beautiful, simple, intuitive interfaces for our cloud-based, multi-platform product suite
- Successfully bring visibility to design and research as an integral part of the product development lifecycle
- Introduce design sprinting into cross-functional processes, as we integrate the products of up to eight newly acquired companies into our platform
- Manage internal and external products that lie outside the traditional product umbrella (cross-product content strategies, internal onboarding tools, etc.)
- Manage and edit our public Accela Design blog on Medium.com
- Act as UX Lead on high-visibility projects, leading design sprints, directing research, and making sure we have user validation and accountable stakeholder sign-off on designs before handing off to the development team
- Work as individual contributor where needed
Director of UX Strategy at Granicus Inc.
- Leading a local and remote team of user researchers, content developers, and UI designers
- Partnering with Product Design team to build beautiful, simple, intuitive interfaces for our cloud-based, multi-platform product suite
- Building out the foundation of UX resources including developing personas, documenting user journey maps, and creating process templates for repeatable iterative design sprints
- Collaborating with PM and Technology directors to develop integrated Agile and Kanban-based processes
- Consult with product managers to develop UX strategies, brand audits, and discovery plans for their products
- Lead high-level UX strategy projects that impacted all products, require cross-functional collaboration: user assistance strategy, in-product communications and notifications, and onboarding programs
- Managed, defined, and launched online training product that significantly reduced the need for expensive on-site training
- Conceived of and produced an in-product contextual help system that almost eliminated customer care calls for our newest product and significantly reduced them in other products—currently rolling out in all products
Content Strategy Team Lead at Wells Fargo Wholesale Internet Services (Current Contract)
- Built and led a content strategy team to support and standardize 80+ wholesale applications through a framework migration, visual and content redesign, and CMS migration.
- Partnered with business, marketing, channel, user experience, user research, CMS, and technology teams to define new processes and implement content strategies for redesign and migration efforts.
- Engaged with partners to define the voice and tone of Commercial Electronic Office® and building out a brand and messaging platform for future communications.
- Leveraged insights and analytics, and engaging with user research to develop messaging and user assistance strategies for consistent experience and improved customer satisfaction.
Content Strategy Team Lead + UI Writer at Walmart.com
- Worked with marketing, business, product management, user research, and development teams to deliver pharmacy redesign content that was on brand, met the users’ needs, and increased revenue.
- Led content strategy and oversaw a team of user interface writers for the redesign of the online pharmacy and prescription fulfillment checkout flow on Walmart.com, employing a hybrid Agile approach.
- Participated and documented RITE testing; performed ethnographic user research on site at Walmart Pharmacy.
- Significantly increased online prescription refill revenue and improved traffic to pharmacy section.
Marketing + Content Strategist for Marin County Parks + Open Spaces at Conscious Creative Agency
- Developed a messaging platform to appeal to Marin County residents
- Worked with creative director to develop an IA for this extremely complex content set.
- Created editorial guidelines that leveraged the messaging platform, told the Marin County story, and created a framework for all online communications and website content.
Messaging + Content Strategist for Pleasanton Firehouse Arts Center at Conscious Creative Agency
- Developed a messaging strategy based on passion for the arts, accessibility, and artistic integrity that helped establish the design direction for all print and web materials, as well as signage for Arts Center and the surrounding streets, lamp posts, and city billboards.
- Developed a messaging strategy for social media engagement and content optimization for search.
- Developed an IA for website, layout for initial brochure and promotional materials, and grand opening gala materials.
- Created editorial guidelines for all materials, and wrote or edited the majority of the online and print content.
Full-time Freelance Senior Content Manager at DocuSign.com for 11 months
- Responsible for structure, creation, and development of content across DocuSign’s web properties.
- Redesigned Support IA and content for improved experience, including an inventory scrub, and complete rewrite.
- Supported site redesign and content migration to Drupal on aggressive timeline.
Full-time Freelance Content Strategy + UI Copywriting at Blue Shield of California for 2 years
- Implemented content strategy for multimillion-dollar redesign of the Blue Shield of California portal in Agile.
- Worked with marketing, customer training, and legal to develop copy for email, websites, training materials, and internal HR initiatives that was on brand, and wove the Blue Shield brand message into daily communications.
Philanthropic Assistant at Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors for 2 years
- Helped open the San Francisco branch of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors under Judy Belk
- Managed all administrative aspects of the San Francisco office, including executive assistance duties
- Interacted with grant-seeking organization on a daily basis
- Organized special events featuring nonprofit organizations for grantmakers
- Created supporting materials for foundation board meetings
- Managed foundation files and giving records, including managing the giving database
- Researched nonprofit and grant-seeking organizations for RPA and other foundations
- Provided support on large grantmaking projects, including reviewing applications and weighing in on grantmaking decisions
artistic + creative direction
Marketing Strategy for Tuttifoodie.com + Scharffen Berger Partnership Program
Member of Brain Trust for Tuttifoodie.com
- Provided high-level strategy to CEO of TuttiFoodie to help launch first annual artisanal chocolate recipe contest in U.S., and establish TuttiFoodie as a subject matter expert in the artisanal food space.
- Acted as liaison to kick off partnership between TuttiFoodie and Scharffen Berger Chocolate.
- Acted as test chef for a judging panel that included Top Chef Elizabeth Falkner, John Scharffenberger, and Alice Medrich three years running.
- Serendipitously: Art directed two artisanal food-themed photo shoots for a separate food marketing project that were on brand for TuttiFoodie.com. I happily gave permission for them to use all of them indefinitely.
Brand Strategy and Art Direction for Seventh House Artisanal Edibles
- Developed brand guidelines and wrote all marketing and branding materials
- Planned, wrote, and designed marketing website
- Art directed photo shoots
Founding Partner + Creative Manager, online magazine and events promotion—GGYGO.com, Oakland, CA
- Developed brand strategy, mission, and editorial standards for online magazine and events promotion company dedicated to empowering and uplifting lesbians.
- Interviewed musicians, artists, community leaders, politicians, and trouble-makers, including Rachel Maddow and Rosie O’Donnell.
- Developed community partners and trade opportunities, promoted and hosted local events.
- Managed all social media assets and mailing lists.
Creative Concepting + Story Development for Rocked by Women
- Provided story development for a performance paying homage the Women’s Music Movement from the 1970s through today.
- Storyboarded creative concepts for choreographed movement.
- Directed and conducting recorded interviews for use in score.
- Collaborated on music placement in score, content production, marketing, copywriting, and fundraising.
Writer + Producer + Director of Olivia Travel 35th Anniversary Video (with 3rd Light Media)
- Developed story and script for a video that documented the history of Olivia Records + Travel in the context of the 70s Women’s Music Movement.
- Performed archival research and identified placement of historical photos.
- Directed comedian Kate Clinton in a remote recording studio in the role of film narrator.
Creative Direction + Content Development, Video for Top Chef Master Elizabeth Falkner (with 3rd Light Media Agency)
- Led scriptwriting, interviewing, and production for a three-part promotional video featuring Elizabeth Falkner with 3rd Light Digital Media.
- Developed and conducted interview that covered Elizabeth’s unique cooking style, the concept behind her restaurant Orson, her role models, and some of her favorite (and least favorite) learning moments.
Culinary Consultant, Cinnamon and Gunpowder, a novel by Eli Brown – Farrar, Straus and Giroux (June 4, 2013)
Recipe Test Chef, Feasts of Tre-Mang, a cookbook based on a culture that never existed, by Eli Brown (November 2014)
- Provided support and insight on all culinary excerpts of Cinnamon and Gunpowder, “A gripping adventure, a seaborne romance, and a twist on the tale of Scheherazade—with the best food ever served aboard a pirate’s ship.” (from Amazon.com)
- Verified the validity of recipes within the context of the story, and provided feedback on the continuity and feasibility of recipes to ensure verisimilitude.
education + professional development
- University of California at Santa Cruz, Bachelor of Arts, Russian Studies, Honors
- University of St. Petersburg, Russia, Russian Language and Culture
- Sorbonne University, Paris, France, French Language and Culture
- Berkeley City College, Berkeley, CA, American Sign Language Program
- UC Berkeley Extension, Editors' Series: Grammar for Editors + Editing for Professionals
- Editcetera for Freelance Publishing and Publications Professionals, Cookbook Editing